This weeks’ recipe comes to us from Joy of Kosher
You can try this with 100% whole wheat flour too, just add another tbsp. of vital wheat gluten. This gives the instructions for a food processor but you can use a mixer or do it by hand.
- 6 tbsp. sugar
2 packs active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. vital wheat gluten
2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
egg wash of 1 egg with 1 tbsp. water
- Dissolve yeast and 2 tsp. sugar in warm water in a 2 cup liquid measure and let stand until foamy about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, insert dough blade. Add flour, vital wheat gluten, rest of sugar, and salt. Pulse until combined.
- cold water, oil and eggs to yeast mixture in measuring cup.
- With machine running on dough speed add yeast mixture through tube in steady stream as fast as the flour absorbs it. Once dough cleans the sides of the work bowl and forms a ball, continue processing for 45 seconds to knead dough.
- Place dough in a floured plastic ziplock and seal. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in sized about 1 to 11/2 hours.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and punch down. Let rest 10-15 minutes. Divide dough into two. Shape.
- Place shaped bread on cookie sheet sprayed. Cover with plastic wrap coated with spray and let rise until double about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brush with egg glaze, bake in lower third of oven for 20 minutes. Lower temp to 350. and baked until brown and hollow – 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.